Buckeye Prairie Cemetery
Located 3 miles south and 2 miles west of Owaneco in Locust Township of Christian County in Illinois. The Cemetery is located 1/4th mile east of the Buckeye United Methodist Church. The church is three miles west and two miles south of Owaneco. The first burial ground was directly west of the church. In 1876 the cemetery was moved to it's present location; on one acre of ground donated by Jacob Overholt. According to the records, 63 bodies are interred with dates prior to 1876. This cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in continuous use in Christian County. A hurricane fence and wrought iron gate was installed in 1987, when an additional acre of ground was added to the east. The cemetery is governed by "The Buckeye Prairie Cemetery Association". As of this narration, officers and trustees are: Joe Large (chairman); Angela Becker (Treasurer); Rosella Brookens (Secretary); Lucille Seiler (Vice Chairman and custodian of the records); Zebert Dunaway, Gordon Brown, Sue Kendle, J.C. Large, and Kent Klinefelter are Trustees. Many of these people are direct descendants of the early settlers who came from Ohio and brought Buckeye Prairie into existence. (Rosella Brookens, June, 1990)
Located in Locust Township of Christian County in Illinois. This cemetery is abandoned.
Located in Locust Township of Christian County in Illinois, one and one half miles south of Owanceo on the north side of the creek and the east side of the road, on land currently owned by Paul Podeschi. It has been neglected for many years. Briars make it hard to get in, but after that, there isn't much undergrowth. (Rosella and Harold Brookens, 6 November 1990)
This cemetery is part of our Gravestone Photo Project.
Located in Locust Township of Christian County in Illinois. This cemetery is well tended and still in use.